Thursday, February 22, 2007

Tie Thursday!

Shake up the hat...close eyes....pull out slip of paper....
"And the subject of this weeks' Tie Thursday is....silly T-shirts!"

In one of my classes today I was the first girl in the class with about 5 or so other boys until others showed up about 10 minutes later. The teacher (also male) asked me "Hey, BandNeeek, where is your posse today?"
I laughed as I am often one of the quietest students in all my classes, including this one and said "I don't have a posse..." then amended it. "I am my posse." We all laughed and my teacher said that "I am my Posse" would make a good T-shirt slogan. Our conversation continued to cover other silly T-shirt slogans we had seen before. Here follows a list (with occasional explanation) of those and some more of my own found slogans:

"I am my Posse"

"IYQ" (just say it a few times...you'll get it)

"Toast" (with a picture of toast of course! All of us Toast Brigader's have them.)

"The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves" (originally bought in Disneyland with the toast brigaders for wear on AP testing days...commented on by new band director during marching band season...next year's marching band shirts? hahaha I kid!)

"I Love Stripling Warriors" (I stopped wearing this one due to the partial illiteracy of immature Jr. High/High Schoolers...heh heh)

"I am plan B"

"Happy Trees" (with a picture of Bob Ross painting. I used to watch him on the tele all the time!)

"I'm in Pep Band and I'm OK!" (one of my High School Pep Band shirts)

"I'm a fermata, hold me"

"I embarrass my family" (often worn by my brother, but I think our family embarrasses our extended family....teehee)

"Bandits" (Well actually, that is what it said before I amended it to say BandGeek, then BandNeeek. I got a kick out of it.)

"Player" (Yes. On the back of one of my band hoodies. I voted against it, but lost. All well.)

That is all that comes to mind at the moment. Anymore? Share, share!!


-The BandNeeek




P.S. As this is Tie Thursday, I would like to add something I missed for my last Tie Thursday on Stair Adventures.

I have worked as a waitress in a wholesome, family friendly live dinner theater. In said theater are tiered seating to make every seat in the house a "good seat." Oft times we, as servers, had to deliver food and/or drinks after the lights had gone out. Up stairs, down stairs, through doors, squish between crowded tables and customers, all while carrying a full and heavy tray on one arm and the extra condiment, side, or stack of napkins in the other. In the Dark.

Soon after I started working there I was on one such delivery. I headed over to "Box 1" with a tray full of drinks: up the steps into the theater, up three more steps, across the house, down three, up two into the Box, and up one to one table. Deliver four drinks. Up one more step, deliver four (or five?) more drinks, and turn to go.

"Whomp!" went my foot down six inches farther than it should have with the rest me stumbling behind, barely catching myself before face-planting into the wood floor...wait, there IS a stair there! Many customers gave me a worried hand and "Are you okay"'s as I looked gratefully at my barely emptied tray. I assured them I was fine and could barely stifle my giggles as the play started at what I must have looked like on the way back to the kitchen.

Spills were common at our Theater, but not a nightly occurrence (between 2 and 4 shows a night depending on the time of year...pretty good statistics I think). We always did our best to avoid such spills , but sometimes it just happens leaving us or a costumer covered in sticky soda, smoothie, or sauce of some sort. The customers were usually very kind and understanding with us, for which I am grateful (although I have only had a couple minor spills), some of which actually give you a better tip (or pity tip). Those tips almost brought us to tears some nights where others didn't leave any tip when we worked so hard, or customers would refuse to be pleased no matter what we tried to do for them. For all of you who are kind to your waitresses/waiters/busboys/doormen/baggers/mailmen/garbagemen/service people I thank you. You make the whole day worth the work, especially when we trip over hidden stairs and spill our whole tray of drinks.

No comments: