Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Happy Wednesday!

Some days are just simply "good days" and some are "awesome days." Many times the difference is in the attitude I decide to have. Even if every little thing explodes, falls, squeaks, cracks, burns, or breaks doesn't mean I have to follow suit. A wise man once said, "They can take everything away from me, but they can't take away my attitude." This man was a Jewish man who had been held in a horrifying concentration camp during World War II. He made this comment after being held in said camp for a long time (months, or years I cannot remember).

The story of Job from the Bible explains the countless hardships and adversities a person can go through and yet still be an optimist in a field of pessimism. "The Lord gave, and the Lord hath taketh away, blessed be the name of the Lord!"

I have avoided using steroetypifying "good" and "bad" because I am trying to mold my attitude and thinking into a more optimistic lifestyle. Some days are harder than others to accomplish such a task, but I can see the true joy that radiates from those who have that bubbly, bright, positive, and smiling personality. They are a beacon to me on those harder days and my motivation to keep smiling.

Some such band-siblings of mine (I tend to think of most of my fellow band members as my second or third families) act as those beacons. Whether it be sharing a good laugh over what might happen if we brought our kitties to school and kept them in our band lockers, rejoicing over a "good" reed (which in some boxes tends to be quite rare), or finding that sometimes it might just be easier to sleep overnight in a practice room due to late night/early morning band commitments (don't worry, only speculative) they can always lift my spirits and bring a needed smile, hug, or snack during the school day.

Other days I feel as if I can be my own radiator of cheer and try to spread it in my own little quiet way, but I still have miles to go before I master that skill. One of the biggest contributors to my happy furnace is music. My brother said one day that whatever song he might play, with time he can find aspects of that song that he likes; therefore leading him away from disliking songs. I have felt the same way since I started playing, at first I may be indifferent to some songs, but after rehearsing them for so long I can't help but find things I love about it. Other songs leave me thrilled after one hearing.

Most of my High School band years were spent in the later circumstance. Whether my band director shaped all of his students to be like him or whether he just brought out that part of us naturally I am not sure. Probably some of both happened, but either way I instantly, or close to it, fell in love with every piece we played (which I attribute to the awesomeness of my band director's taste). This year has been different; new director with new tastes, and new band siblings. I do still enjoy many of the pieces we play, but only one or two so far has caught my love like the pieces of past years. Every time I play any of those songs I can't help but look like a smiling fool for hours. They give me an Adrenalin rush that only they can and boost my spirits up with the clouds.

I see now that I have gone off on a tangent and not gotten to any of the list of happy things I had ready to post on for the day. I will leave the list as is for your imagination to run away with and to not make any longer this monster post.

-tuner-clock invention

-essay paper turned in (relief! Hooray!)

-good reed

-happy music

-WARM sun sitting and reading

-Prospective Kite flying field=no power lines/poles!! Rules against flying kites on campus?=cleared!


I love you all!! Be safe!

-The BandNeeek

No comments: